Biphasic Defibrillator. Zoll and Philips Devices for Cardiac Emergency
What is defibrillation? This is a process, when a certain electronic device is used to send an electric shock to the heart in order to stop a rapid and irregular heartbeat, thus restoring a normal heart rhythm. Defibrillation should be performed immediately after a patient is experiencing a cardiac emergency or has no pulse, and the best device to use is a biphasic defibrillator.
During the process, current travels from paddle to paddle in one direction and then in the other one. Over the course of delivery the delivered energy levels vary. The use of such device has its benefits:
- It requires less energy for restoring a normal heart rhythm.
- Its usage lowers the risks of cellular damages and burns to the heart.
Philips Biphasic Defibrillator
The brand has pioneered biphasic therapy; today it is recognized as a standard of care. Of course, over the years of technological development, there were made many improvements. Now Philips uses a combination of lower energy doses and high current to minimize possible side effects that may be harmful to a fragile heart and maximize the effectiveness of results.
Over the last years Philips biphasic defibrillation therapy has been studied by many scientists of the medical field. Today it is recognized as a reliable, clinically proven way of delivering high first shock efficiency for long downtime SCA patients. It also effectively defibrillates across the wide spectrum of patients.
Zoll Biphasic Defibrillator
According to the latest researches ZOLL Rectilinear Biphasic waveform provides more current than most others biphasic defibrillators. This feature is highly important for high-impendence and difficult-to-defibrillate patient.
Zoll M Series devices are regarded to as the most reliable. There is a range of features they have, namely:
- It is a small, bright and light defibrillator unit that is perfect for easy-handling, as well as optimal viewing in case the built-in power chargers add weight or size.
- A variety of paddles and electrodes are specially designed to meet all the needs.
- Common connectors and a pre-connection capability make it possible to reduce stress even in the most critical situations.
- ZOLL proprietary Rectilinear Biphasic Waveform features the 40-msec Rectilinear Pacing waveform, the current and lower energy, providing superior efficiency and optimizing the safety of patients.
- ZOLL patented external Pacing suggests superior capture at a lower mean thresholds. It reduces artifact, thus ensuring much better patient tolerance and more patient comfort.
- The Zoll M-series device is configurable in a variety of ways, namely: AED mode with Override, Monophasic waveform, 12-Lead Interpretive ECG, SPO2 saturation, Shock Advisory, Multifunction Cables, 3-Lead ECG, Biphasic waveform, Integrated Hard Paddles, Non-invasive Pacing, EtC02 and NiBP.
Defibrillation with such devices is performed for correcting life-threatening fibrillations of the heart that may result in cardiac arrest.